Seal the deal with your new career!
Come join our Award Winning Team.
Sunland Asphalt & Construction, LLC. strives to recruit top talent and we are committed to help you grow both professionally and personally. We are confident you will find our Company a dynamic and rewarding place in which to work because here at Sunland Asphalt our vision is: ‘To be the best place in the world to work.‘
Voted as one of Phoenix Business Journal’s ‘Best Places to Work,’ Sunland offers employees:
- Competitive Weekly Pay and Paid Time Off
- 401(K) with Employer Match
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Work/Life Balance and Community Involvement
- Comprehensive Health Benefits including; Health, Dental, Vision
- Life/Disability Insurances
- Award Winning Peers & Projects
- And A Foundation Built on Safety
The Project Engineer will work directly for the Project Managers on heavy civil construction projects. The successful candidate must have a basic understanding of project management, site development and critical path scheduling.
essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Employee shall perform all duties and responsibilities with Sunland’s Core Values at the forefront.
- Must be an advocate of safety and follow safety policies and procedures.
- Collaborate with Project Manager and Superintendents to ensure resources (human, material and equipment) are accurately accounted for.
- Assist the Project Managers with daily duties and tasks.
- Support field crews daily assignments.
- Actively participate in job-site and safety meetings and all Company related training.
- Attend weekly production meetings and coordinate with Project Inspectors.
- Assist with Pre-Construction and Scheduling Meetings.
- Perform project cost accounting functions.
- Coordinate and verify Traffic Control Plans are setup according to project Traffic Control Plans.
- Complete administrative tasks promptly and efficiently.
- Develop and modify work processes to ensure the highest standards for quality, productivity, and profitability.
- The employee must be able operate vehicles and trailers in a safe manner in compliance with local, state and federal traffic laws, and must be able to operate equipment, machinery and other tools in compliance with safety guidelines.
- Represent the Company and interact professionally with customers, vendors, sub-contractors and the public.
- Supervises subcontractors to ensure that work meets quality standards and adheres to specifications.
- Document any Safety incidents or near misses and notify Project Manager.
- Any and all other duties assigned. Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
- This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
- Collaboration Skills, Communication Proficiency and Customer/Client Focus.
- Critical thinker who proactively anticipates problems and is solution oriented in approach.
- Leadership, Decision Making and Ethical Conduct.
- Problem Solving and Thoroughness.
- Project Management and Time Management.
- This position is considered a safety-sensitive position and is subject to the company’s drug and alcohol policy, as well as all OHSA regulations.
- All employees must wear the appropriate personal protective equipment (PPE).
- Serves as a safety ambassador by complying with federal, state and local laws, as well as Company safety policy, enforces safe work practices, and proactively identifies and remedies worksite hazards.
Physical Demands and Work Environment
- This position operates at professional construction sites and in professional office environments, requiring the uses of standard office equipment, the ability to communicate verbally with others on site, in person and over the telephone, ability to read printed materials, signs, computer screens and directions, stamina to maintain attention to details despite interruptions, ability to lift, push, pull, carry, handle or feel objects, supplies, tools, machinery and/or controls weighing up to 50 pounds and reach with hands and arms; climb stairs and/or ladders; balance, bend, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl, lift overhead, traverse around or otherwise position one’s self around the required work and safety requirements to navigating and perform activities on various construction sites in a safe manner.
- Will be required to work on project sites and operate vehicles, trailers, machinery, equipment and other tools within local, state and federal safety guidelines.
- Will be required to work outside, frequently for long periods of time in all weather, including extreme hot and cold temperatures.
- While working, the employee might be exposed to various chemicals, vapors, pollutants, virus or other air-borne pathogens, gases, uneven surfaces, loud noises, moving vehicles or machines and dust/debris.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
- This is a full time position. Occasional evening and weekend work may be required as job duties demand.
- Must be willing to travel to any and all jobsites without exception (including staying away from home if necessary.)
- The majority of work will be in the field meeting with customers; must be able to travel/ drive to job sites and client meetings daily.
Education and Work Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in the field of Construction Management or Civil Engineering and/or 2- 5 years’ Civil Concrete or related field experience.
- Previous heavy construction or Concrete industry experience is required.
- Proficient at Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Power Point, Outlook), Good understanding MS Project Scheduling software or equivalent.
- Must have strong mathematical skills and be able to perform complex computations for layout design and material requirements.
- Broad understanding of project management, budgeting, scheduling, resource allocation and contract administration is required.
- OSHA safety training a plus, no certifications needed.
- Must be fluent in English, i.e., must be able to speak, read and write English.
Certifications, Licenses, and Requirements
- Must have a valid driver’s license and a clean motor-vehicle record.
- Passing a pre-employment drug and alcohol screening and background check is required.
Sunland Asphalt is an equal employment opportunity employer.