Our global construction group is comprised of Orascom Construction subsidiaries, The Weitz Company, Contrack Watts Inc., and Watts Constructors. Collectively, we specialize in Commercial, Federal, and Industrial construction projects with a best-in-class Supply Chain segment. We have forged our reputation by constantly seeking new construction innovations and technology that provide our clients and employees with predictable, reliable, and collaborative services. Our commitment to delivering a top quality product has resulted in long-standing customer relationships and recognition by industry rankings as one of the top contractors in the United States.
We view employees as our most valuable asset, and the key to our success. That’s why we provide team members a career (not just a job), supported by learning and development opportunities, and a positive, collaborative work environment. We offer the resources of a large company, while preserving our small company feel. Employees are encouraged to work hard, have fun and build strong relationships along the way! Community involvement, diversity and inclusion, and employee empowerment are central to our Company’s culture.
What We Offer:
- Competitive Pay
- Rewarding Bonus Program
- Comprehensive Benefits Package with Tax-Advantaged HSA and FSA offerings
- Employer-Paid Short and Long Term Disability Programs
- Employer-Paid Life Insurance
- Generous Paid Time Off Provisions
- 401K Retirement Savings Plan With Company Match
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Fully Paid Parental Leave
- Voluntary Products including: Pet Insurance, Critical Illness Insurance and Accident Insurance
- Corporate Wellness Program with Wellness Time Off and Rewards
The Weitz Company is currently accepting applications for a Senior Estimator to be located in Des Moines, IA. This candidate should have experience viewing and understanding plans, project management skills, performing take-offs and tabulating sub-bids. Candidates must have previous industrial construction estimating experience.
Estimators support the estimating team by preparing complete portions of an estimate for construction projects. They are responsible for profitably managing all administrative and field construction activities to quality standards, while maintaining relationships with all stake holders on assigned projects. This position will provide leadership and directions to superintendents overseeing field personnel including self-performing work, subcontractors, and clients for both plant service/maintenance work and capital project work.
What You’ll Do:
- Review all estimates for accuracy, detail and expectations
- Contact local building trades, subcontractors, suppliers, government offices, etc. to understand and verify local market conditions, trade practices and costs
- Analyze manpower and equipment requirements for specific self-perform operations
- Understand the impact of general conditions and contract language; review with project team
- Coordinate building systems and schedules with Operations to plan and budget for safety on each project
- Utilize conceptual estimating skills and identify items required for complete systems, even if not outlined on construction documents
- Make decisions in a timely manner; understand when to involve upper management in decisions; assess level of risk and consequences associated
- Understand the clients’ needs to manage the process efficiently, ensure timely completion, understand local logistics/subcontractor and supplier market, and how BIM/LEED/LEAN can be best utilized
- Adhere to all company policies, standards, and procedures
- Other duties and projects as assigned
- Business travel will be required
What We’re Looking For:
To perform the job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each previously stated duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and ability necessary to succeed in this role.
- Education: A college degree in a construction related field is preferred. An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Experience: Previous internship experience in a construction role with exposure to estimating is preferred for an Estimator I. Ten (10) years of construction estimating responsibility is required for the Senior Estimator level. Experience in a fast-paced environment, proven history of producing quality work products on time, accurately, completely, and in an organized fashion. A proven history of leading, teaching, developing and mentoring others successfully.
- Skills: Independent judgment, business acumen, judgment, client relations, negotiation, decision making, conflict resolution, problem solving, effective internal and external communication, project management, team leadership, tact, adaptability and analytical abilities are all necessary skills for a Senior Estimator.
- Technology: Proficiency with operating systems and basic computer software programs such as Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel and Outlook. Employee must have experience with onscreen takeoffs and the ability to learn other specific software.
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position at this time.
The Company does not accept unsolicited resumes from search firms or agencies. Any resume submitted to any employee of the Company without a prior written search agreement will be considered unsolicited and the property of the Company. Please, no phone calls or emails.
The Company is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment (minorities, females, veterans, individuals with disabilities, sexual orientation, gender identity, or other protected categories in accordance with state and federal laws). The Company is a drug and alcohol free workplace and background checks are required if applicable.