Our global construction group is comprised of Orascom Construction subsidiaries, The Weitz Company, Contrack Watts Inc., and Watts Constructors. Collectively, we specialize in Commercial, Federal, and Industrial construction projects with a best-in-class Supply Chain segment. We have forged our reputation by constantly seeking new construction innovations and technology that provide our clients and employees with predictable, reliable, and collaborative services. Our commitment to delivering a top quality product has resulted in long-standing customer relationships and recognition by industry rankings as one of the top contractors in the United States.
We view employees as our most valuable asset, and the key to our success. That’s why we provide team members a career (not just a job), supported by learning and development opportunities, and a positive, collaborative work environment. We offer the resources of a large company, while preserving our small company feel. Employees are encouraged to work hard, have fun and build strong relationships along the way! Community involvement, diversity and inclusion, and employee empowerment are central to our Company’s culture.
What We Offer:
- Competitive Pay
- Rewarding Bonus Program
- Comprehensive Benefits Package with Tax-Advantaged HSA and FSA offerings
- Employer-Paid Short and Long Term Disability Programs
- Employer-Paid Life Insurance
- Generous Paid Time Off Provisions
- 401K Retirement Savings Plan With Company Match
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Fully Paid Parental Leave
- Voluntary Products including: Pet Insurance, Critical Illness Insurance and Accident Insurance
- Corporate Wellness Program with Wellness Time Off and Rewards
The Weitz Company is seeking a Payroll Accountant to be located out of our Des Moines, IA Corporate office. Candidates must have recent payroll experience.
The Payroll Accountant is responsible for assisting the Accounting Supervisor with all tasks related to producing payroll for hourly employees. This includes data entry, employment verification, setting up and maintaining benefit information, time card management, earning reports and other related payroll reports. This position reports to the Accounting Supervisor.
What You’ll Do:
- Collaborate with business units to ensure weekly timecards are submitted correctly
- Accurately prepare, compute, input, and process payroll for Company hourly employees
- Update employee records for paid time off and benefit information, position and title changes, location changes, and wage increases
- Ensure proper approvals are obtained for employee transactions
- Print and distribute payroll checks; prepare checks to be mailed as necessary
- Ensure union payroll related matters are in compliance by verifying rates, titles, benefits, deductions, and monthly reports for accuracy
- Maintain hourly personnel payroll records
- Reconcile gross to net payroll reports and verify taxable figures
- Coordinate unemployment compensation claims with a third party administrator
- Complete verification of employment
- Prepare and validate certified payroll reports
- Communicate effectively and build trust both inside and outside of the company for payroll-related matters
- Meet established quality standards while ensuring content is accurate to avoid re-work
- Routinely test and challenge updates in the computer system-operating environment to ensure accuracy
- Identify, recommend and/or implement process changes to make the payroll process more efficient
- Stay abreast of changing government regulations regarding payroll
- Adhere to all company policies, standards, procedures, and core values
- Other duties and projects as assigned
What We’re Looking For:
To perform the job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each previously stated duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and ability necessary to succeed in this role.
- Education: A High School Diploma is required. A Certified Payroll Professional (CPP) or Fundamental Payroll Certification (FPC) is desirable, but not required.
- Experience: A minimum of two (2) years’ experience of payroll-related experience is required. Experience in a fast-paced business environment is helpful.
- Skills: Individual must have accounting skills, math aptitude and a general working knowledge of both federal taxation and multi-state tax laws and filing regulations. Independent judgment, problem solving, internal and external communication, attention to detail, tact, discretion with sensitive and confidential information, adaptability, and prioritization abilities are also necessary skills for an Accountant I. Qualified candidates will demonstrate a high degree of tolerance for uncertainty, perform tasks without repeated instructions, work with limited supervision, and operate with a high level of accuracy. Candidate should also have the ability to take direction from a variety of different people, the forethought to know when to seek assistance, and adjust to new procedures and duties as needed. Frequent collaboration outside of one’s work group is required.
- Technology: Candidate should be proficient in 10-key and Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Outlook), and have experience with or ability to learn specific accounting software. Training will be provided on company standards.
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position at this time.
The Company does not accept unsolicited resumes from search firms or agencies. Any resume submitted to any employee of the Company without a prior written search agreement will be considered unsolicited and the property of The Company. Please, no phone calls or emails.
The Company is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment (minorities, females, and veterans, individuals with disabilities, sexual orientation, and gender identity). The Company is a drug and alcohol free workplace and background checks are required if applicable.